An Introduction to Adobe Photoshop
Level: Processing - BeginnerMore info
This is an 8 hour course that introduces photographers to Adobe Photoshop. This course is perfect for beginner and intermediate level photographers wishing to make their images extraordinary.
Who should take this course?
This introductory course will cover the basics of Photoshop, for everyone who has either never used the application before or started to use it and thought “this is way too complicated” or “there must be an easier, better way to do this...” Yes there is! This course will show you how, in just 8 hours of a practical and hands-on workshop, jam-packed with useful information.
What is the course about?
This course is tailored for photographers and will provide you with the primary skills to get you started in image manipulation using Adobe Photoshop CS to take your photos from average to amazing.
Primary skills taught include:
- Work flow functions: how to view and organize your images in Bridge, open digital camera files in Camera Raw, then begin the editing process in Photoshop
- Getting familiar & friendly with the PS CS workspace: the Navigator Palette, the Menu Bar, the Status Bar, the Toolbox, and the Palettes
- Fundamentals of Controlling Image size & Resolution. Ever wanted to share pictures with family & friends online but the image files were huge and it either slowed down your upload or choked it altogether. This course will sort this challenge out for you.
- History palette: Keeping track of history in Photoshop is great for keeping track of changes to your images, comparisons, undoing editing steps, and correcting mistakes.
- Color: Techniques for adjusting contrast, color & tone. CMYK, RGB and greyscale color modes. Different ways to convert to B&W
- Getting familiar with the different selection tools that allow you to apply changes on selected bits of your image: Marquee, Lasso, Magic Wand and Quick Select
- More image adjustments: Color and exposure corrections, cropping, saturation, layers, blend modes, working with Type (i.e. text)
- Painting Tools: Paint Bucket and Fill Command; Gradient, Pattern and Line Tools; Brushes and Fade Command; Pencil, Paintbrush and Airbrush Tools; and Eraser Tools
- Retouching Tools (flaw and blemish repair tools: Blur, Sharpen, Smudge, Dodge, Burn, Sponge, Clone Stamp, History Brush)
- Preparing images for printing & web use. Intro to color profiling.
What do I need to bring?
Participants should have their own laptop, power cable, mouse (if necessary), basic Mac or PC skills including: launching an application; creating, naming and saving documents; navigating folders to locate a specific file. No prior experience in Photoshop CS is required.
You are also required to have Adobe Photoshop installed on your laptop prior to joining the workshop. As Adobe has now moved Photoshop to be part of their Creative Cloud Photographer Plan. You can either sign up here for the Creative Cloud - Photographer Plan at US$ 9.99 a month, or make use of the free 30 day trial, which you can find at the bottom of this page, for as long as it is still available.
You may bring any drinks/snacks with you. There are also a small number of food outlets within a short driving distance.
- 7 days before class start full refund less 10% admin fee or reschedule to another date.
- 3 days before, no refund but can reschedule to another date.
- Less than 3 days before - no refund and no reschedule possible.
- Workshops can be rescheduled within 3 months of the original booking.
- Bookings can be transferred once only. If you transfer your workshop booking, and later wish to cancel it, we will not be able to refund or reschedule you under any circumstances.
If you are interested in this course and to get notified about the next available schedule, click the below button to add your interest!
Add to interest list